Sunday 16 March 2014

50, 50, sub 50

Today saw Manx Harriers host the Manx 10k Racewalking Championships at the NSC. This is an annual event and is open to anyone. I think the title of 'Championships' deters quite a few would-be entrants from participating which is a shame as it isn't a race for only the 'elite' walkers as the name might suggest: it is for anyone who wishes to have a go. The same can be said of the Ascot Hotel sponsored Manx Open which was held last weekend. When I first started walking and competing in short races, I didn't do either of these events simply because I thought I wasn't good enough and I would end up being embarrassed and finishing well after everyone else had had a cup of tea and gone home.
I soon realised however that this wasn't the case: the walking community on the Isle of Man are an extremely supportive bunch and will encourage everyone regardless of ability or experience. No-one is pre-judged and the whole atmosphere at a meet is one of relaxed anticipation.
And so, today the field was a bit thin on the ground with perhaps 20 people starting the 10k. By comparison, there will be in the region of 50 in the Winter League.
As I usually go out for a long training walk on Saturday mornings, I had planned to do the 10k today but really to use it as a 'recovery' walk rather than as a race proper. As it transpired though, I was out on Friday night with colleagues from work and sampled various beers in many Douglas pubs. It was a good night, so I have been told.
The following morning I was still somewhat worse for wear and, in a moment of clarity, sent a text to the lads informing them that I was going to give the 22 mile round trip to Glen Roy/Laxey a miss in favour of feeling sorry for myself. I was rough all day, however this morning, I felt miles better and turned up at the race feeling not too bad at all.

The NSC perimeter road is more or less exactly 800m (½ mile) which makes it very easy to judge ones own race. So, for example, if you are doing steady 4:30 min laps (9 min miles), you will finish 10k (which is 12.5 laps of this course) in 56:15.

As we set off, I tucked in behind Adam Cowin and Alex Eaton who are both young (compared to me, anyway), talented walkers who have regularly clocked under 50 minutes for 10k. I knew that they would be pushing on at a fast pace but I was surprised to see the first lap go by at 3:45 and the second one  at 3:52. This was way faster than I had intended to go or indeed felt capable of sustaining for the full distance. My aim was to try to maintain 4 minute laps which would result in a 50 minute 10k time. My Personal Best time was 49:51 so I worked on the assumption that if I maintained 4 minute laps for the first, say eight laps, I could try and push slightly quicker for the final 4½ and with a bit of luck, get a new pb.
[Me (142), Adam Cowin (81) and race winner Alex Eaton (147) on lap 3 (photo Murray Lambden)]
 
After two more sub 4 minute laps, I started to fall behind as Adam and Alex maintained their blistering pace. I was happy though as I could keep a close eye on my time every 200m: 4 min laps = 200m every minute (the NSC perimeter road is marked every 100m) and I was maintaining 4 minute laps fairly comfortably.
On lap 5, I started to doubt whether I could keep this pace going for another 7. This is a normal feeling when you are pushing yourself and are beginning to deplete the stored reserves of energy. It is at this point that mental strength comes into play. Without mental strength and a willingness to succeed, it is very easy to give in and either slow down (because it doesn't hurt and you will be more comfortable) or quit altogether. For those wishing to achieve their target, neither is an option.
After having a drink though (non-alcoholic for a change), by lap 8 I began to feel much better and pushed on, claiming back the 15 or so seconds I had dropped in the previous three laps.
At the start of lap nine, I realised that I was in with a very good chance of attaining a new pb of approximately 20 seconds, barring disasters, and made a conscious effort to up my pace and go for it. Although I felt like I was really pushing on, my watch told me that I was perhaps six seconds per lap up on my four minute lap target. My final lap was 3:46 - which was almost identical to lap 1 but it felt infinitely harder to achieve.
PB's don't come around too often for me so having pushed and pushed, sweated Friday's alcohol out of my system and panted like an old donkey for most of the race, I was really thrilled to finish in 49:08 - a pb by 43 seconds. It doesn't matter how many races you do nor how experienced you become, it never gets any easier! The opposite is actually true but don't be put off by that comment: the fitter you get and the faster you go, the more you push yourself and try to achieve your next target, whatever that may be.
Alex won the race with a new pb, Adam was second whilst I came in a very happy third.

Performance of the day should probably go to Tom Partington, one of the island's most promising juniors who, at the age of 14 (I think) did a sub 55 minutes on his first attempt at this distance. Brilliant walking by Tom who has really come to the fore in the last year or so. A bright future beckons. I blame his parents! (For those who don't know, mum, Cal 10k pb 46:26 and dad, Steve 10k pb 40:40 Bodes well for Tom, I think you'll agree!)

So, going out and getting slaughtered on Friday paid dividends today. Every cloud and all that.
Not a strategy I would recommend, but worth a look.
Since I started competing in 10k events in 2004, I have kept all of my times in a spread sheet. Somewhat anal I know, but useful for posterity. It was when I was entering today's time, I realised that, by a sheer coincidence, this was my 50th 10k race.
I managed a sub 50 minute pb and I turned 50 a couple of weeks ago.
Happy days.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Great blog :) Great race :)

Well done :) !